reddsky
Newly Registered

Seeding with Fescue over existing dead sod HELP!!

New to the forum and hoping to get lots of help cuz I need it!! lol
We recently moved to Charlotte, NC and built a new home. We were forced to plant fescue sod when we closed which was mid July. Needless to say, we lost it all. :cry:
Now we are considering aerating and seeding with fescue October. One company has recommended killing everything first with glyphosate, waiting two weeks, then amending soil with whatever soil samples tell us, aerating and seeding. He then recommends blowing the leaves after they fall October and re-seeding in Nov/Dec. My questions are these:

1. is waiting two weeks sufficient after applying the glyphosate?
2. do we need to power rake or somehow scratch the surface of the sod since there is so much dead debris in order for
the seed to make contact with soil?
3. is re-seeding in Nov a waste?

We also have another area that was never sodded. The surface is clay and hard as a rock. Is tilling that sufficient prior to seeding or should we also add top soil prior to seeding?

Sure would love to just plant bermuda, but HOA will not allow. :x
TIA

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

The area that was never seeded you might consider tilling in some organic matter before planting. If the fescue is really dead then tilling it under, smoothing the ground and waiting a week before planting might also be an option that way you are adding organic matter while insuring that the seeds make better contact with the soil. As for planting in the fall rather than early spring that will depend on how the weather behaves this winter as to which is better. As for question 1, I don't use chemicals if it can be avoided so I don't know the answer.

Return to “Lawn Care”