jlavado

Milorganite- Anyone using it?

So I dropped a bag of Milorganite on my lawn last week. They claim it's organic. I know that this is just dewatered biosolids from the Milwaukee Waste Water Treatment Facility. Sometimes I have to visit facilities like this in my line of work and I can tell you that my yard smells just like one of these places now. But some people are real believers in this stuff. I got the bag on the cheap but was considering using the Vigoro organic stuff instead. The Vigoro is much more expensive and the bag is half the size (after all, how much can you charge someone for dookie, right?), but I was feeling brave. What would you all have done? Is this stuff good for my soil or not? Would Vigoro organic be a better option in the future?

Sharky169

Re: Milorganite- Anyone using it?

Is it worth the stench? what happens when it rains or you water it does the stench get worse?

bring a sample of the product the the dept of agricultural experiment station in Windsor--if your in that area or call them and find the closer one--it's free,your taxes pay for it, find out the amount of nitrogen, phosphorus, and Pot ash you're getting and decide if it's worth the stench or just go to Lesco in South Windsor, and buy a bag of fertilizer that will not smell and really fertilize your lawn

jlavado

The smell only lasted for a few days. Less than a week. South Windsor is way out of my way. I take it no other people using this?

imafan26
Mod

There is sewage sludge that is locally available. I called about it. They said it has been processed and it is what remains in the tank after the sewage is treated. It has been tested for heavy metals and it does not contain levels of anything high enough to be of concern. They said is mostly sold to apply to turf and not on edibles.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

theleifmeister
Newly Registered

I've started using it pretty regularly, I have not noticed this smell everyone keeps talking about unless I hold it up close to my face...I like it because it is organic, not very expensive, and I don't have to be afraid of burning the lawn because I am still a newby at all of this.

Return to “Lawn Care”