harryhh
Cool Member

Crabgrass? Bermuda grass? Or what?

North central Illinois, zone 5a.

Hello folks,

Our apartment building lawn has taken accidental damage over the last couple of years. Cars repeatedly driving off the driveway and Roundup was accidental sprayed in many spots. All of these bare spots were not repaired soon enough or were damaged again. Anyway, there is a weed that is taking over in many areas. I can't tell if it is crabgrass, bermuda grass, or something else. I did see some red color at the base of some stems, but I don't think it was enough to say that this is foxtail.

The picture of the big clump basically came from one root stem, but the root didn't come out when I pulled. If a different or better picture is needed, let me know.

Thanks,
Harry
Attachments
P1030910.JPG
P1030910.JPG (70.83 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
P1030905.JPG
P1030903.JPG
P1030903.JPG (61.1 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
P1030900.JPG
P1030900.JPG (55.83 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

harryhh
Cool Member

Trying to answer my own question.

First, I've found that it is not easy to identify grassy weeds from pictures. The pictures have to be of the right part of the plant, and very close up.

Reading and looking at pictures I kept vacillating between crabgrass and bermuda grass. One thing I read made it seem like bermuda, the next made it seem like crabgrass.

Slowly, more things seemed to point to crabgrass. Finally, I found something that said crabgrass blades start growing rolled up (in a long pointy cone) and unroll as they grow.

See the attached picture. Notice the rolled grass blade. Also notice the little hairs on the stem and the blades. I don't think these two things are definitive, but they might help in identifying crabgrass.

There is Large Crabgrass, and Smooth Crabgrass, and there are differences between the two. Mine seems to be Large Crabgrass. More hairs.

Harry
Attachments
P1030931.JPG
P1030931.JPG (20.69 KiB) Viewed 4124 times

Sharky169

Crabgrass no doubt. kill it in spring only with pre emergent a couple of times it also comes with fertilizer so use it a few times in the spring until soil temp reaches 70 degrees and if a little pops up spray with round up you can't buy crabgrass killer, or any that is good, only a professional can and it's expensive so keeping it from growing in the first place is the only to prevent it.

Return to “Lawn Care”