Newby99
Newly Registered

New Lawn Help - Large Spikey Weeds

Hi,

I am a young guy and recently bought my first house, the garden was a total jungle. We had the topsoil removed, and a new lawn layed. Its been fine for about 3 months, but now were are getting very fast growing, chunky, spiky weeds growing. I've taken some photos, could anyone give me any advice please? Is there a potent weed killer you'd recommend for this type of weed? They grow so fast and much taller then the grass. Thanks so much for your help
Attachments
image[5].jpeg
image[4].jpeg
image[2].jpeg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What was planted there before you re-did the lawn? What is planted in the bed in the background behind the edging?

Your large spikey weeds look like raspberry vines coming up. Raspberries are kind of a pest in my yard too. I planted them initially, but that was a mistake. They do travel underground by runners. So the trouble was even though you had a layer of topsoil removed (and presumably new put down), there were still raspberry roots under there, which have now worked their way back to the surface.

If it were me, I would just start digging. Wait until after a rain when the ground is soft and just dig down and follow the root along as far as you can. You want to get as much of that root out as you can. If you are persistent about doing that, eventually whatever root is left in the soil dies, because without leaves, it can't get any energy.

Newby99
Newly Registered

Ah thanks for the advice, at least now I know what it is!

I'm not sure what was there before, but I remember some berries, perhaps they were raspberries. I just went through the garden with shears cutting everything down! I keep mowing the lawn and pulling up the shoots that grow. If the problem persists I'll do some digging as you suggest.

Thanks a lot :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, if you just keep mowing the area frequently, that will eventually starve those roots, also.

Return to “Lawn Care”