zer0
Newly Registered

Lawn of weed!! Need Help

Hello everyone,
We have a built a new house and have not put in sod yet because the neighbour houses are still being built and the cranes and whatnot are coming in all the time. But the weed that is growing there has spread and is quite big now. Please see the attached pictures.
Can anyone recommend what to do? should I kill it by spraying it with weed killer or should I pluck it out one by one?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
20150711_112124_resized.jpg
20150711_112117_resized.jpg

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

anything going to seed, pull immediately. As for spray or pull that depends on who you ask and whether the weeds are perennial types or not. Sprays work best on perennials, like dandelion as the annual quick seeding kind will generally live long enough for the seed to ripen and hence spread anyway. If they pull easily, I would just pull them, but then I don't like to spray except when nothing else works.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have lived that nightmare...so I thought... a few times. They strip the topsoil and stockpile it. When they are done the "DEAD" topsoil is spread back. The topsoil can come back to life but laying sod over it is hit or miss especially if there is limestone involved. The next issue is in stages. Your lawn comes to life but down the road the dandelions are thick and infect you lawn.

I wanted a green weed free lawn.....isn't that the goal?

Now that I am into growing stuff for food and pretty stuff things have changed. Those weeds were there for a purpose. The deep roots pull up nutes and feed the others. The more weeds the better stuff grows as it all works together. Trying to fight it makes for a nightmare of ferts, pesticides and keeping up with the Jones'. It all mows the same. I no longer have to spray, water or fertilize.

The violets, broadleaves, dandelions, clover and creeping charlie and others are just mother nature trying to correct itself. AND it will!

Or you can spray and kill. At that point your best best is 1 inch plus of leaf compost spread over the yard before sod. You will still be chasing deep rooted weeds.

zer0
Newly Registered

Thank you for reply guys,
I have already started pulling the weed, its quite the work. In Canada, herbicides like Roundup are banned for lawn use. So I have to find an alternative (in concentrate form) that will kill everything.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

It's hard to see weeds as a plus. It's easy to fall into the spray/kill everything trap.

Return to “Lawn Care”