jimmywam
Newly Registered

weed/grass

I live on an acreage. Last year I had patches of this grass/weed start to fill in anywhere that wasn't totally established with thick grass. It is back again this year and is spreading. I was hoping to be able to spray it so I don't have to tear everything up and seed huge areas. I don't know what its called so I can't search how to kill it without harming the good grass. It is a broadleaf grass. The most distinctive thing about it is that it seemingly never dries out. The morning dew stays on it all day even on hot and windy days. It clogs up my mowers and is huge pain. The picture was taken at 1:00 pm on cloud free 90 degree day with a 10-15 mph wind all day. If you look there is STILL big dew drops on it. Any idea what this stuff could be?
Attachments
20150707_130101.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Looks like crabgrass.

It's thick, lush stuff! Ours holds the water the same way, and clogs my mower up, too.grrrrr.

It reseeds every year, so preventing seed germination is the way to control it. Preemergents are pretty effective when they're timed right. Usually a couple applications in the spring, and one in the fall. Your local extension should be helpful in knowing when to apply them.

Return to “Lawn Care”