ZACHHALE
Newly Registered

Pillbugs killing my grass

Pillbugs, or better known as 'rollie polies' have infested my newly planTed grass seed and begin to destroy the lawn once the new grass is about four inches.

I need a method for killing the current and preventing future ones. Anyone know anything on this issue?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In general pillbugs are detritovores and mostly eat decaying vegetation. They are often found in compost piles, where they are part of the process of breaking the materials down.

However, especially when you get an infestation of them, they can eat plant roots, especially tender young plants. Once the plants are well established, they are less likely to be bothered by the pillbugs. So really you just have to get your grass through this initial period. Pillbugs need moisture and one solution to getting rid of them is to let the soil or whatever they are in dry out. However, the new grass situation is hard, because your new grass will also die if it dries out too much.

Diatomaceous earth is said to work against them, but it seems like that would only work if they do come above ground. Worth a try though.

Return to “Lawn Care”