Grassy1
Newly Registered

Grass/weed identification please

1433465958351-943046227.jpg
Hi everyone first time posting here!! Looks like a lot of great people who share great ideas. Looking forward to learning and sharing ideas!
I'm a new home owner and the lawn has been neglected for YEARS. I'm trying to get it back in shape but have noticed I do not seem to have normal grass that I'm used too. I'm actually not sure if my lawn is grass or just a large patch of cut weeds. Haha. I will attach a picture of what my lawn is dominated by. I have a feeling is done strand of crabgrass but not positive. If you could help me figure out what this is it would be much appreciated! I live in south east michigan.
Attachments
14334660578711281766990.jpg

Allyn
Green Thumb

It looks to me like a whole bunch of crabgrass.

meshmouse

It may be crab grass, but if I had to place a bet, I'd say it looks like a beautiful lawn of Kentucky Bluegrass. The crab grass I get is more deserving of the name. It lays out flat and somewhat resembles a crab. If that is crab grass, I've got a yard full of it and I would then not know what to call what I think crab grass is.

I could very well be wrong. - meshmouse

Grassy1
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies! I would be thrilled if it was a strand if bluegrass! Lol. Although I dnot think it is crabgrass, I've put down a preemergent this spring and have also sprayed weed killer that had no effect on this. I'd rather not use harsh chemicals, but considering what I was left with, I felt it was the best option. It doest not seem to "crawl" or spread like crab grass neither. The blades that I have been able to pull up seem to have 3-5 grass shoots connected to one root system. Which in turn makes me think it's some type of grassy weed.

Return to “Lawn Care”