Entities
Newly Registered

Mulch over Mud?

When we bought our house in Sept of 2014 there was a huge wet part of our yard I put in a french drain and it helped alot on one side of the drain. However the water is coming from the neighbors side and there is probably a 6 x 12 ft part of the yard that is all mud. From Me digging the drain and installing it I killed the grass that was in the muddy spot. So now its just mud.
Could I plant some flowers that like wet soil and then mulch over the mud? Or would it just look bad? Not sure if thats an option but I have extra mulch at the moment.
Also the soil is thick clay I'm not to sure anything would even grow. Any Ideas?

applestar
Mod

I think it's an excellent idea to turn that area into a moisture loving flowerbed.

Do you know if this area will dry out completely if there is a drought? At that point, will you be willing to water it?

I converted an area similarly afflicted by the neighbor re-grading and landscaping to pipe their roof gutter downspout outflow to our side of the property line. I decided to plant native (to my area) plants. I posted a full list of plants I have growing there before - I'm going to go look for the link.

applestar
Mod

Entities
Newly Registered

Wow thank you! Very helpful!
DO you think the heavy clay soil is capable of keeping anything alive?

Return to “Lawn Care”