Scr0489
Newly Registered

Help with weeds

I am a first time home owner and I closed on my house back in December. To my horror when my yard came in in the spring, half of it is this weed and I'm not sure what it is or what to do to dispose of it. Any advice to a lawn beginner would be appreciated!

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I the lawn is over seven years old, you might want to start over.
It can be done by the homeowner but it is a lot of work, or you can hire it out to a landscaper.

If there is still good patches of lawn you can renovate, but if it is mostly weeds and hardly any grass left, it is best to start over.
https://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A3434.pdf
https://weedmanusa.com/resources/lawn-renovations.html

applestar
Mod

That doesn't look like weed to me -- they look like the lawn grass blooming and forming seedheads.

Scr0489
Newly Registered

The fact it is such a bright green compared to the rest of the lawn is throwing me off, I hope youre right about that.

imafan26
Mod

I see patches of dead spots when it is zoomed, but Apple may be right. It depends on the kind of grass you have.

You can try mowing it, do not cut off more than one third of the blade so set the mower high. Don't count the seed heads as part of the blade and see what you have.

You may still need to dethatch and renovate the bare spots.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I think it is grass that has gone to seed too. Though I live in the country and don't know much about different grasses. My lawn has many different kinds and some of it seeds out like that if I don't get it mowed right away. Though I do see some weeds. There are some chemical sprays that kill the weed but leave the lawn too, if you wanted to try a small spot and see what happens.

Scr0489
Newly Registered

I think I might try that, I put weed and feed down earlier in the spring but I'll try legit weed killer on the stuff.

Here's a picture of the backyard, the dark green is what I've always seen ideal grass to look like, the light green is that leafy sparse stuff id like to get rid of
Attachments
image.jpg

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

What type grass is the lawn supposed to be? I would go with a weed killer (or weed and feed) that protects the type of grass you want, and keep it mowed low, and watered when needed. See what happens.

imafan26
Mod

Identifying the type of grass is important since some lawn weed killers cannot be used on all types of grass. I can only use one lawn herbicide on my dwarf St. Augustine grass, because the others will kill it.

Return to “Lawn Care”