L_D_G
Newly Registered

Finding the right spray treatment

1. I have a dog that will sometimes chew/tear up/destroy various plants (a grapevine, two apple trees, and maybe one or two other things have been his victim).

2. I plan on getting some sort of lawn sprayer that you pump.

Breathe easy, the apples trees have either come back or not been completely killed.

After looking online for dog deterrents that wouldn't kill plants, I found that white vinegar could serve as a way to not only steer my dog away from protected plants but might push some pests away as well.

My wife last year was using a home made spray that included garlic to spray on our plants to nurture and protect them (not from the dog).

This leads me to my question: In an effort to not have to pour white vinegar in a spray bottle to make sure protected plants are dog proof, I'd like to incorporate an all inclusive spray. Something to spray plants with after the sprinklers that gives them nutrients as well as steers away the dog. I just wanted to come by and ask/see what everyone uses, or thought would work. If you would be so kind to provide the recipes (or recommended recipes), I'd really appreciate it!

Current thought ingredients are: white vinegar, garlic, Epson salt (apparently promotes a lusher, greener lawn?), and water. Amounts are unknown.

Plants I'm currently housing in my yard:
Hostas
Lilacs (yellow and purple)
Forsythia
Apple trees (2)
Plum tree
Peach tree
Queen Anne's Lace
Rhubarb
Day Lillies
Bee balm
-There will be a garden with herbs and veggies, too-

Grass is zoysia.

I'm hoping this is the right place for this post. I looked around a little and everything is very specific (Lilac forum, organic forum, etc). I opted for broad lawn care. Thanks everyone!

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I haven't tried vinegar for a dog deterrent but I have tried, hot pepper diluted in water and put down thorny branches around the plants in questions and some store bought stuff. I had no luck. I now fence in anything I care about. I have a poultry netting fence and electric fence around the garden, just poultry netting fence around the orchard and a small pet specific electric fence around my flower and strawberry beds. It keeps him out.

Please let us know if you have any luck with the vinegar.

applestar
Mod

Um... Vinegar can be used as herbicide. So you probably should try a spot test first. Also, vinegar can be acidifying and probably shouldn't be used near plants that prefer higher pH -- Lilac would be one.

At first glance, your plant list is too varied to think all inclusive spray would be safe. Woody plants -- trees and shrubs -- will tolerate stronger stuff than more tender plants, and pests that bother tham (besides the dog) and nutrients they need will be different as well.

imafan26
Mod

You should definitely fence in some of those plants, they may be toxic to the dog.

Fencing is probably the best option. It doesn't have to be a strong fence. I had a 76 lb Irish setter mix that loved to eat my bromeliads and orchids. I moved the bromeliads to a part of the yard he was not allowed in, although he managed to still find more bromeliads I missed. I put all my plants on the perimeter that needed to be kept away from him and I used pet fencing. He could have easily jumped that fence and I only had it held up by rebar stakes, but the fence and training worked. It takes a while but if you have a visual aid like a fence you can train the dog not to touch anything behind it. And once he learns about the fence, he will generalize and not touch anything behind a fence. It is easier than trying to train him to recognize different plants. The other thing would be to confine his wanderings when he is not being supervised.

It might also help to give him a kong and take him for walks, actually get on a bike or skates, or run, it is a better work out for the dog so that he uses up all the pent up energy he has. Train him to fetch, for some dogs it is natural, others take some convincing and make sure he has a kong and some acceptable toys to chew. No bones or rawhide, they can be dangerous for the dog, but dental chews are o.k., just make sure they are not from China. Some dogs will outgrow chewing as they get older and mellow, but some dogs like the retrievers and other high energy dogs are mouthy breeds and don't give up chewing easily. Some dogs will chew from boredom or anxiety. Dogs are very demanding of your time, they don't like to be alone and they want to be entertained all of the time. They are pack animals and need to be near the pack all of the time and you have to be the alpha or they will dominate you. If you don't have the time to spend with your dog, then get a cat, they only demand their 10 minutes a day.

I have heard of vinegar being used for pest control and as an herbicide. Most of the dog stain removers have vinegar in them as way to get rid of the scent that attracts them, but I would rather use alcohol as a general pest and disease treatment.

Return to “Lawn Care”