paulburk426
Newly Registered

Need help identifying this weed - Austin Tx(few pictures)

Hello,

I'm attempting to identify this weed that grows within my bermuda. Nothing has killed it thus far, crabgrass? Annual ryegrass?

Couldn't get a picture of seed pod as I mowed a week ago.. Thanks!
IMG_20150324_173503_693.jpg
IMG_20150324_173534_483.jpg
IMG_20150324_173446_119.jpg
IMG_20150324_173428_606.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Looks like crab grass. Dig it out, or round up will work spray or paint on only the weed. It is non-specific vegetation killer, so there will be some browning of the grass around the weeds. Post emergent weed killers work best when the weeds are young. Your weeds are too well established. Dig it out or herbicide before it goes to seed. Set your mower blade higher and feed, aerate, and top dress your grass, if the the grass is in better condition it will crowd out weeds better. Bermuda is a nice grass but not as weed and pest resistant as zoysia.

Avoid weed and feed products especially if you have children and pets around.

Read and follow the instructions on the labels and pay attention to the time it takes for the product to dry. Everyone, including children, people, and pets should stay out of the area until then.

It is best to water the area well the day before and apply the herbicide early on a sunny day covering the top and bottom of the leaves. Adding a teaspoon of high nitrogen granular fertilizer to a pint spray bottle enhances the herbicide's effectiveness. Do not cut the weed first, the herbicide is absorbed through the leaves. Do not water for 24 hours afterward. It may take a few days or up to a week before you see the weed drying depending on how big the root system is. You may have to reapply as directed for stubborn weeds.

Return to “Lawn Care”