Gary350
Super Green Thumb

HOW do you kill your WEED???

Industrial strength Arizona weeds refuse to die, I already sprayed them 2 times and nothing happened. Weed B
Done and 2,4-D does not work. Today I will try another toxic cancer causing dangerious chemical HOA Gestapo insists my weeds are gone by 3/20/15.

Do you know what these weeds are called and how to kill them?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I believe you have common groundsel, senecio vulgaris, aka old man of spring. It is kind of a pest, because one plant puts out thousands of seeds, but as weeds go it is definitely not the worst, because it does NOT spread by runners. It has a tap root. If you just chop the plant off the tap root, that plant is dead. Then you just have to make sure that all those seeds don't have a place to take root. If your stone mulch is deep enough, that should take care of it. You need about 3" of coarse mulch.

Your only problem is that to effectively cut the plant from the taproot, you may have to move some of the rock out of the way. A garden knife works well for this task.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The soil is extremely fine sand about like kitchen flour and always moist under those rocks that provide shade. The plants all pull up very easy by hand, there is probably 4000 plants in the front yard.

Picture 1 and 3 are the same plant. It grows straight up 2 feet tall like a mini pine tree. It pulls up easy too. The root ball of a 6" tall plant is 2" diameter. A 14" tall plant has a 6" diameter root ball.

All these plants pull up easy but I can pull weeds day after day, week after week and it seems like I and done nothing.

Last year I divided 50 lbs of salt evenly between 5 bucket each one being 5 gallons. I filled the buckets with water then stirred them several times every day. It took 3 days for the salt to dissolve into the water. Then I gave every plant a cup of water and every plant died. It was a lot of work mixing and pouring. I mixed up another batch of salt water then poured the whole batch in a 8 foot by 8 foot spot around the pool pump it killed every thing dead and it is still dead 1 year later. Salt is cheap I can not use it around trees and bushes.

imafan26
Mod

Pulling by hand is still the best option. If it can grow back from the taproot then you have to get all of the taproot out and you have to do it before it goes to seed.

Dissolve about a teaspoon of nitrogen fertilizer (I use urea or sulfate of ammonia) in about a pint of Roundup. The ammonium ion is supposed to make the plant more willing to take up the roundup. Spraying causes issues with overspray so I prefer to use a disposable paint brush and paint it on the leaves, top and bottom, of the weed. It is important that the weeds are watered the day before and the tops have not been cut off first. Do not water for at least 24 hours afterwards. It may take a week for the plant to show signs of drying especially with a large taproot, but it is the best way to kill the root.

Be aware that roundup does translocate so if there are desirable plants nearby and the taproots is entwined in their roots they are at risk too. I used the eyedropper method on nut sedge which is probably the worse weed to have. It does kill the nut sedge but the nuts were also attached to my rosemary and a branch of my rosemary also died, but the rest of the plant survived.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think groundsel usually grows back from the tap root, if you just cut the plant with the top of the root off.

poisoning your ground forever seems like a pretty over the top solution.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What I need is something that keeps they from growing. The soil must be full of 1000s of seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mulch? landscape fabric with mulch over it?

imafan26
Mod

The other way would be to be diligent. Water the weeds and pull them out before they get a couple of inches tall and keep doing that until they are gone. Don't let anything get big enough to reseed. Some weed seeds can live for a very long time.

If it is a place you are not intending to plant, covering it with a non woven weed block and mulching over that will block out the light and keep seeds from spouting. If you don't put any extra holes in the weed block and you have a good overlap of the edges and mulch on top of it, the weed block lasts about 15 years. Weeds can still grow on top of the mulch but they are easier to pull since their roots will be shallow.

If it is a place you want to plant, then the best defense is to crowd out the weeds with taller plant. After you pull the weeds, you can plant a cover crop that will grow rapidly in 6 weeks time. Turn under the cover crop (I usually use buckwheat), just as it starts to flower. Do not let it go to seed. It will add biomass to the soil, attract beneficial insects and because it grows tall and quick it will crowd out weeds.

P.S. I use round up because it does not persist and I can plant again a couple of weeks later. Just make sure you get glyphosate without anything added to it. It is the additions that cause the problems.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If I put mulch over land scape gravel I would need permission from HOA. HOA would never approve it. If I did it anyway HOA would have me in court wanting it removed.

I cant remove 10 TONS of land scape gravel to put down cloth either. Wow what a job that would be and I would need HOA approvial before I do it.

Each city block has its own Little Hittler that keeps an eye on his territory then reports violations to the Gestapo, HOA.

I see neighbors out in the yard every day crawling around on their hands and knees pulling weeds. I did that too certain Arizona weeds will not die from the weed killers that are avaiable. Neighbgors say, pre emergent works best stops weeds before they come up but it cost $500 a year to keep up with the weeds.

Yesterday I sprayed with a different spray that guarantees to kill broad leaf quick, results in 24 hours. Today broad leaf are all curled up in a wad. The tall straight tree like weeds are not effected at all by anything I sprayed on them so far.

Today I bought 80 lbs of salt. Back to this again I know this works. All the places I did this to a year ago are still DEAD.

applestar
Mod

It looks like all gravel -- can't you use propane weed burner? DH loves the one I got for him, especially since I got him the extended hose adaptor so he could replace the dinky little canister it came with, with a standard gas grill propane tank.

I find the idea of a neighborhood association (which presumably exists for protection and for the good of the community) that insists the residents poison their property to the point that nothing will grow to be hilarious and disturbing at the same time.

It sounds like once the mature weeds are cut or pulled (or burned) before they can go to seed, what you need is something pre-emergent to keep the seeds from growing. Would something less toxic like corn gluten work? There are iron-based pre-emergents now too.

imafan26
Mod

Usually the weed mat would go under the gravel. A torch would work to burn off the top, but it doesn't kill the root, and you would have to have a hose ready to put out any fires. Preemergent weed killers would stop the seeds but you still have to take care or what is already there.

Return to “Lawn Care”