briggzee1
Newly Registered

Looking for help with bare patch

New guy here. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, wet and mild. I have this bare patch (pics attached) on my lawn and I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it up. I know grass can grow there because last year I loosened up the soil threw down some grass seed and grass grew no problem. The issue is as soon as the rain starts and my dogs get in that area the grass basically disappears and this dirt patch is there. I am guessing the grass isn't rooting very good. Is it best to peel back a few inches on the whole area and get some good soil in there and start from scratch or is there maybe a better option. Thanks for any help .
Attachments
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2655.JPG

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think the dog will keep ripping it up.

briggzee1
Newly Registered

I'm confused, was that advice?

imafan26
Mod

I would put an extension pad of concrete or pavers so that instead of a straight sidewalk to make it a little wider and curve out to cover that small opening next to your gate. I think the dog likes to look out through that fence. She will always make a beeline there so there will be a lot of traffic and unless you have a grass that can handle heavy traffic, making a path along the natural pathway is probably a better choice in the long run than trying to keep grass there.

If you want to change the dog's path you can screen that part of the fence and change your gate to a chain link gate she can see through.

Seeded grass takes the longest to establish at about a year. Until the grass is well established and assuming you have a grass that can handle heavy traffic, it would be better to fence off the area to keep people and the dog off of it.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would put about 4 wind barrel type planters there and separate them about 18 inches and put a mulch all around them! I would grow a mix of flowers and maybe a few vegetables like even herbs.

Return to “Lawn Care”