halonutshell
Newly Registered

Riding Lawn Mower?

If you had less than $2000 to spend and you needed a riding lawn mower which one would you buy? Keeping in mind the terrain and uses. Very uneven ground, steep inclines and declines, bumpy, tall to short grass, sometimes damp grass. Needing to be run up to 8 hours a day in the summer. Also must be capable of a small snow plow and the power to use it like a plow in the winter where we get a good snow every week. Thanks!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't.

Our Quaker Meeting (church) sits on five acres of land, a couple acres of which are lawn, with similar terrain to your description, some of it sloped, some of it kind of bumpy and uneven. It takes more like four hours than eight to mow. Nonetheless, we have been through way too many riding mowers. We finally decided that cheaping out does not work in this case and we need to buy ourselves a really good mower, regardless of price. We are in the market for a new one now and expecting to spend $5K. Especially to be snow plow capable, the cheap ones are so flimsy made these days, it isn't worth it.

In your budget, if you have a trustworthy source of good used reconditioned mower, I would consider that above new. The people that repair mowers (whom we have gotten very familiar with! :( ) say that quality of construction has declined considerably in recent years.

Welcome to the Forum!

halonutshell
Newly Registered

Interesting. I did hear that the older mowers were built with heavier steel on te deck parts. I think I'll look into an older more reliable mower. Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

I'd say get a cow and and a snow blower.

RedBeard1987

if your in the market for an older mower wheel horse by toro are very dependable. I own one that I inherited that was bought in 1982 and used frequently. it starts and runs and cuts like a new mower. they have somewhat of a cult following as well. lots of people restore them to factory condition. most were available with a plow attachment and some of the larger ones had many other attachments such as snow blowers garden tillers and so on. good luck!

Return to “Lawn Care”