laura3278
Newly Registered

how to get rid of grass under a deck

We just did a giant deck extension. We connect to two little decks that were at opposite ends of the house. This is the first deck we have built and we were told to make the deck last longer to kill the grass underneath it. The grass will rot the wood faster if you don't get rid of it. We were told to use a giant tarp and put heavy objects on top of it. However, we are finding this method is taking a very long time, but it is working. The new part of the deck is very, very big and we did buy a big tarp, but we will have to lay in about 8 or more areas.

Any other ideas? We were told to use RoundUp, but I have plants and a big yard and do not want to harm anything. Plus, it would take a good amount to kill the grass.

webmaster
Site Admin

I don't think grass will grow in the shade. Perhaps you ideal solution if the deck is not too high, and a nice looking one too, would be to skirt it with a latticed border which will keep out the sun. You won't have to put down the tarp and will be able to have the ground beneath to soak up the water and prevent erosion.

Here are some examples so you can see what I mean:

https://img2.timeinc.net/toh/I/a/yard/porch-lattice-01.jpg

https://www.decksusa.com/images/Skirt-Fl-Pattrn/Lattice-Skirt.gif

https://www.amdeck.com/images/deck_big/composite-deck-big-4.jpg

Tickie
Newly Registered

webmaster,
I have grass growing under my deck and have lattice. It's been a year and it still grows. My deck is extensive, running the entire length of the house--4 1/2' high at the octagon and 3 1/2' high around the other sides. I wish I had gone with my original plan and put landscaping cloth down when it was framed and the posts laid and then had a truck load of pea gravel or large dumped in and spread for proper drainage. But I was sold the same bill of goods about the grass dying... Now I have to crawl around under the deck and do the described procedure, and it won't be so easy. I have small basement windows and the grass looks creepy, the gravel will give it a clean look and discourage carpenter ants and other not so nice bugs from living in the moist shady environment under the deck.

Cheers,
Tickie

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Have you tried pouring boiling water on the unwanted grass? This will, unfortunately, kill any earthworms in that dirt, but it won't have a residual effect--other earthworms will be able to move in later.

I've used boiling water to kill dandelions and some weeds whose names I don't know but which grow up through the pavement cracks on my driveway/sidewalk.

It's much faster (and probably easier) than covering up all those separate areas with landscape fabric and rocks.

Good luck!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Return to “Lawn Care”