Shane361
Newly Registered

Help identifying and killing this WEED

It has been rather rainy lately but this weed is killing my grass. It is rooted but developed more as a canopy a few inches above the ground. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.-Shane

hrdavis96
Newly Registered

Hi Shane!

I'm not a weed expert but I looked around a little bit on the internet and this MIGHT be crabgrass. I'm not finding anything very helpful as for how to remove it other than chemical spray weed killers. The chemicals might be harmful to your grass though so I suggest choosing one carefully. It might be best to mow the weeds down and pull them when they look a bit smaller. Apparently crabgrass is an annual problem for many people and the best solution is prevention- by applying an herbicide that will kill the weed sprouts before they begin to grow at the beginning of the season.

I hope this information helps you! Best of luck in getting rid of this weed!

catgrass
Green Thumb

That's not crab grass. Looks a lot like Virginia buttonweed. Does it make little white flowers? If so, it is EXTREMELY hard to get rid of. You WILL have to use atrazine to get rid of it. Hand pulling, etc. will not control this weed. It propagates by seeds, underground roots & seeds under ground, and spreads like crazy.

Return to “Lawn Care”