metuckness
Newly Registered

Identification Help Please!

Need Identified 2
Need Identified 2
I live in South East New Mexico (Lovington NM specifically). I just started to work on my mothers front lawn, trying to get it back to a healthy state as compared to natural dead nightmare she had it (she's 70 with Lupis and Back / Hip Issues).

I have started to work on the soil, getting it so that air can get in, so it is not so compact and will allow grass seeds to grow without hitting solid compacted ground and all that. But I have come across three of the same things nestled into the ground that I have never seen before. I have some pictures which I will post but I will describe them as best I can.

Two of them were on the surface and one was slightly buried. They are a light, dry dusty dirt like substance but solid except when disturbed. The third one was found under a thin layer of dirt. Commonly they are all ways on or nearly covered in dirt. They don't seem to have a smell, though honestly I didn't get down and smell them. But the one I did smash didn't emanate any horrible smell as if it was dog poop or something. They all look identical as for the soil, dry and then inside they look like seeds or eggs. When squished they turn a dark yellow, enough to saturate the dirt around them as if you used Photoshop and cranked up the selective color option for yellow.

Here are the photos. I can see no common denominator about them in the ground other than they are all in her yard. They are not around a tree or a bush or even the same kind of grass. I don't see any insects or clusters of insects.

Help would be appreciated! Even Google Image search didn't find anything that looked the same but then I didn't expect much. Hoping the experts here might know.

I figure it is either a Turd or a Fungus or a Cache of Eggs or something! Help :mrgreen:
Need Identified 2
Need Identified 2
Need Identified 1
Need Identified 1
Need Identified 3
Need Identified 3

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Wow.......

That thing is nuts! And gross looking! I'm pretty crazy about ID's, and I've got nothing. I've been looking for days. Hopefully this bump of your post will attract new feed back!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking turd that was buried for awhile and desiccated, but when you open it up shows undigested remains of whatever the creature was eating.

Return to “Lawn Care”