pinksand
Greener Thumb

Repairing Lawn After Bobcat

I know this section of the forum doesn't get much action, but I have no idea what I'm doing and am overwhelmed by the information I've found online. After having a bobcat transport the tree we had removed from the backyard there are sections of my lawn that are now dirt patches, waiting to be seeded with crabgrass and other nasty weeds.

I'm going to wait until fall to officially take on this project, but wanted to do my research now so I know what I'm in for. After I posted an article about polyculture lawns a while back, a forum member recommended this seed https://www.protimelawnseed.com/collecti ... ur-de-lawn so I'd be interested in using this or something similar.

I've been looking through their How-to section but am overwhelmed by all the equipment that seems to be involved. Besides some of the dirt patches, I'd also like to thin out some weeds and overseed, so I've been particularly looking at that processes. They mention power rake dethatchers, core aerators, backfilling with some type of soil modifyer called Turface MVP, and something called a mulch roller. Can I just use a garden rake instead of the dethatcher? I'm assuming I should be able to rent a core aerator instead of having to buy one? Do I really need the soil modifyer or could I just use compost? Where to heck do I find a mulch roller, I've never seen anything like that before! Can I just spread it by hand? The area that is most damaged isn't a very large space and all this just sounds daunting! I just want something low maintenence with the easiest installation, without using lots of chemicals.

Some notes on the location: The worst section is sloped, which is probably why it got most torn up. I'll probably have to be most careful in this area so the seeds don't just wash away. The dirt in this whole area is on the sandy side and very easy to dig into, so no issues with heavy clay soil.

I'm so not a lawn person... help?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, Bobcat? I just looked in to see what damage a bobcat would do, no idea you were talking about a machine.
Don't know how large your yard is, yes you can rent an aerator, but if these areas are small you might think of buying a small plug aerator, kinda like a shovel, you step it into the ground in the same way, and it will be there for you to use the next it's needed.

Richard

DDMcKenna

We went to the local Lowes and bought just enough sod off an open pallet to cover the areas we needed. It seemed like the hardest part was just handling the pieces of sod because they are pretty heavy. But it only took a couple weeks and a lawn mowing before it started to blend in.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the advice! Lol sorry about the bobcat confusion, that would have made for a much more interesting story!

I think a small plug aerator would be sufficient in the space. I hadn't considered sod, what kind of prep work was required?

Return to “Lawn Care”