Onchman14
Newly Registered

Lawn weed indentification and elimination

Hello from Onchman14, looking for help to identify a prolific lawn weed, and if possible how to eliminate it please.
Attachments
IMG_2592 R.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think they are just wild violets, a very common lawn weed. Digging them out by hand would be the only organic way to get rid of them, and you have to be careful to get all the root with them. Otherwise your only option is to spray some nasty herbicidal poison twice a year forever, and you will still probably have some violets in your lawn.

If you don't insist on having a grass monoculture (look up polyculture lawns, they are much healthier for you and the environment), you could just quit worrying about them. They have pretty little purple flowers in the spring (I think my lawn is beautiful when the purple violets and yellow dandelions are blooming in it). Violets are good hosts for various butterfly caterpillars, so they help increase the number of butterflies in your yard. And they are edible, both the flowers and the leaves when they are young and tender. I think they are very nice in salads and the little flowers make pretty topping for ice cream.

Onchman14
Newly Registered

Thank you Rainbow Gardener for your helpful suggestions. Looks like I'm stuck with them, very annoying after going to the expense of having the lawn returfed.

Return to “Lawn Care”