Rational
Newly Registered

Neglected Lawn; Attack of the Weeds; Gazebo(?) Maintenance

For the past 2 years that we have owned this property, we did not mow it on a regular basis. Actually, we still don't, and I understand that regular lawn maintenance is crucial to a presentable lawn. However, my lawn is thoroughly screwed (See attached pictures) by weeds and foreign plant species (never saw them when we first moved in).

Neighbours: Left Side: maintain their lawn as much as we do (so basically, rarely); weed fest. Infront: I think they're lawn is better; good. Right Side: BEAUTIFUL. Well maintained; no weeds.
Climate: Temperatures in the winter fall well below -20Celsius and summers go up to 40C. Fall and Autumn are nice, with temperatures around 10C.
Weather: Past few weeks have constantly been alternating with excessive rain and excessive sun shine. Currently, it is cloudy with a probability of rain (90%) for the next 3 days, then decent sun shine, then rain for the next three.
What have I done so far: I used (an entire bottle of) RoundUp just yesterday to kill off all species that should not be in that region. I've been "pulling" weeds about 1-2 hours a day for the past 2 days. I bought a garden hose sprayer thing (Lol) and some generic lawn seeds.

I also have this patio/gazebo/(I don't know what it is) installation in my backyard that consumes a huge amount of space. Either I learn how to maintain it or I will throw it out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Please note, I do not need you to explain everything in your own words. If you can link me to reputable sources that will be equally as beneficial.

I am not afraid of manual work, and I am willing to spend the time doing whatever to help, provided whatever I do is certainly productive.

[I could not upload files here, please see Microsoft Skydrive link: https://1drv.ms/1m9CVXQ]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't love Round Up, but what's done is done. Personally I think you are still going to have to do all the same work that you would have without the Round Up. You have so little actual grass and the soil looks bad. What you need to do is just till the whole thing up and start over. At this point it would be better done at the end of summer, very beginning of fall. In the heat of summer is not a good time to plant grass seed.

At the end of summer, till everything up. [You can rent a rototiller pretty cheap, no reason to buy one. If all goes well you will never need it again after these two uses.] Wait a couple weeks for all the weed seeds you brought to the surface to sprout, then till again, tilling in a whole bunch of well aged composted manure, and or organic compost, and or other organic ingredients like mushroom compost, fall leaves etc. Water the ground, sow grass seed and water it in, then cover LIGHTLY. Water just enough to keep it moist every day that it doesn't rain until the seeds sprout and then every other day for awhile.

Voila! Nice fresh new lawn, relatively weed free, very even. Don't mow until the new grass is about 3" high and then don't take very much off.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

THAT is gonna be a lot of work! You will need to be rigid in your maintenance schedule.

There is not a lot of grass there...

Roundup is nasty stuff. It's non-selective, and will kill most plant life.
I would start with your planters. Clear them out manually as best you can. Dig out the big roots. Cover with cardboard boxes cut to fit and mulch the heck out of it. Planting beds are going to be the easiest. They can be planted by cutting a hole large enough for your new plant's root ball to fit into. Weed it as necessary.

Your lawn.... A few things are on your side. Winter temperature is the biggest player. Tender weeds like dandies and crabgrass are killed off from frosts and -20 is pretty dang cold! The rest of your weeds pop up from last years seed that over wintered. Pre- emergents like corn gluten act by preventing weed seeds from germinating and it also breaks down to feed your lawn. It has to be timed right for your area, and usually requires more than one treatment in the spring, and again in fall (I'm not sure if the fall treatment is required in your area).

Depending on what type of grass you have, now on the highest setting. This promotes root growth, spreading, and proper top growth on the grass but cuts the weeds at their reproductive sites. As your desired grass (or clover! I really like clover!) fills in and recovers, it will choke out the undesirable weeds. This takes time. Weed n feed products may work well in your case. I don't use them.

And you could start over as RG said!

Rational
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies RG and Lindsaylew82

The reason I came here is because I'm looking for an absolute, certain way to solve the problem. Here is what I have concluded based on your replies:
- Do not use Round Up (I agree, it didn't help as much as I thought)
- At the end of summer till up the lawn, wait for weeds, till again
- Plant grass seed, water as per your suggestion
- Do not cut much off after 3" has grown

I've read on other forums that tilling a lawn with weeds can worsen the situation by causing dormant weed seeds to spread. Is that a concern?

Also, what happens if I start tilling and planting now? The last few days of (not excessive but) constant rain have made the soil very, very soft. The temperatures are not exceeding 20C and are staying at around 15C for the remainder of this week. I'm an impatient person, apologies.

More on the weather: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/weathe ... io/markham

Thanks a lot for your replies.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've read on other forums that tilling a lawn with weeds can worsen the situation by causing dormant weed seeds to spread. Is that a concern?

That's why you are going to do it twice. Possibly even three times if you want to be really, really thorough, leaving a week or two in between each time for the weed seeds to sprout.

Note that the tilling, besides turning under and chopping up all the weeds, is your time to mix in a lot of good soil amendments, to improve your soil. Bad/infertile soil favors weeds.

Where are you located that your summer temps are so low? That is not too hot for planting, but it may be too wet. You never want to till wet ground, it will just clump up into hard clods that are very difficult to break down again. Test by picking up a handful of soil and squeezing it lightly in your fist. It should be damp enough to form a ball, which will hold together, but dry enough that the soil ball will fall apart again immediately with a little poke.

Return to “Lawn Care”