Creek.Jumper
Newly Registered

Lawn Issues..Help Please!

Hello!

Ever since moving to my current house 7 years ago, I have been battling many issues with my lawn here in New York. My Home was a model home, but sat empty for quite some time as the builder moved to another subdivision and the grass was left to fend for itself. When I got here the grass was all yellow and had shriveled up to the point that I could actually see the lines between the layers of sod. It was my first lawn issue, so I figured a whole lot of water would help. I watered regularly and some grass came back....but many,many weeds. I decided to keep over-seeding, but was loosing the fight to the weeds. After digging a flower garden, I realize the dirt is very hard, very clay like.

I thought about the tough clay, so the following year I ordered a few yards of topsoil, raked it over the lawn and re-seeded again. After weeks of watering, This really helped! it looked like I might win this battle, but the weeds kept coming back. I realized one thing, that I was mowing the grass too low. I adjusted and again it seemed to help a bit. I've regularly re-seeded, but always had issues with weeds. From what I can see it's mostly dandelion and clover, but I'm sure there are more. The only good thing is that my tomatoes seem to grow well!

This spring I decided to use this to help with the weeds:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Garden ... d/17126441

That was about a month ago. It helped somewhat with the weeds, but I still have plenty. Now, the grass seems to be turning yellow. I water every 3 days for 20 minutes. We are having quite a bit of rain at the moment, so we will see if that helps.

Just looking for some suggestions to getting rid of the weeds and having a nice green lawn.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You could quit spraying poisons (your weed and feed has three different herbicides in it, all with various toxicities and negative environmental effects) and learn to love the weeds. Clover is really good for the lawn, being a nitrogen fixer

"grass and clover co-evolved to grow together. Clover, as pasture farmers know, but many lawn-owners don't, nourishes the grass by fixing nitrogen, and helps with water management. Its roots, two feet deep, also help store carbon and bring nutrients up to the surface where the grass’s shallower roots can access them. The whole lawn stays greener all through the summer. Rain soaks in and helps sustain the water table, instead of running off as with conventional lawns." https://www.resilience.org/stories/2010- ... awn-primer

above is from a nice article about polyculture lawns - the opposite of a grass monoculture, which is what lawns traditionally were. The clover when it blooms (if it hasn't been sprayed) feeds honeybees and other beneficial insects.

Personally I think my lawn is beautiful in the spring when the purple violets and yellow dandelions are blooming in it.

Return to “Lawn Care”