sal101011
Newly Registered

Can someone help me in identifying this weed?

this weed has been taking over 50% of my bermuda grass. any help in identifying the weed and an herbicide that can control will be most appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Looks like crab grass. Pre-emergents like corn gluten work well. Timing is key in the spring.
Frost will kill it in the fall.

sal101011
Newly Registered

I am down in Miami, Florida, we wont have Frost hehe, should I use post emergent like drive xlr8 then maybe after summer use the pre-em?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

50% is a pretty high percentage of crabgrass. While the xlr8 isn't an organic option, it will kill the crabgrass.

Pre-emergent is the best solution. I would suggest pulling it by hand, or spot spraying with vinegar, but in your situation, I think that would be a difficult means of control.
Yearly and well timed pre-emergent ( corn gluten works well, and will feed your lawn, too!), high mowing (no more than 1/3 the length of the grass off, and Deep watering to encourage deep roots is the best plan of action.

Do you use your grass clipping for anything? I wouldn't for the next few months if you decide to go with a weed n feed type product.

sal101011
Newly Registered

thank you so much for your feedback.

Return to “Lawn Care”