ttatoli
Newly Registered

Help to restore damaged lawn with lawn sand

I take pride in keeping my lawn looking good, I decided to aerate my lawn and top feed with a mix of topsoil and sand, unfortunately the sand I used I subsequently discovered was Lawn Sand and not sharp or horticultural sand which included sulphates - I am now left with large patches of dead grass and the water retention is horrendous - its like a bog!!!! Anyone any good tips on how to get this back to a good standard?

The soil is quite clay heavy anyway (hence the need to aerate) so since top feeding it the water seems to be going nowhere. Its a north-west facing garden so apart from 2 corners (which are boggy at the best of time as they are shaded quite a large part of the time) the rest of the garden is in the sun.

I have raked over the lawn again and needless to say its very thin but am not sure whats best do with the sand that's obviously mixed in and laid down already? Have attached some pics. Help would be appreciated.
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi tatoli, I'll take a try at this one. You mentioned you take pride in your lawn, so your lawn was pretty nice before you added the sand? Sulfates? are you saying they were in the sand you added? Years agooooooo I had a gardening service, I've seen many lawns burned by Ammonium Sulfate, because they weren't watered enough after application.

Like a bog, you wrote, did you already plug it, then add the sand? If not I would aerate it. I'm not there, but looking at the lawn: it looks like a lawn that had been grown long and was dense, than was for the first time cut very short and the tender parts of the grass that hadn't been exposed to sun were burned by the sun, and maybe also the sulfates you mentioned did their part. I did this once for a living and that's what it looks like from here.

If I've got anything you wrote wrong, let us know so ether myself and/or another member will try to help with this. Thanks for calling on us.

Richard

Return to “Lawn Care”