Rairdog
Green Thumb

Some may call it a weedy mess

I call it a treasure hunt. The neighbor lady gripes every year about keeping the weeds down in my abandoned fixer upper house next door. I let it grow out for the birds but try and keep it manageable. Some of the stuff comes from the neighborhood and squirrels. Some of it the river brings when it floods.

First find....buckeye tree(3 total)

Black walnut (4 total)

Tiger lillies(took 6 out for a new bed)

Rose of Sharon (3 for new bed)

I'm not sure what this is. It grows here every year, flowers and doesn't spread much(clumb for new bed)

Thorny vine...need ID

Mulberry tree I believe. There used to be one here but power company destroyed it

Hack-berry ? Need ID

Here is parent around corner. I been looking for neighbors silver maple starts in the background.

Some sort of thistle?

Wacked down

New bed. 2 peonies roots, surprise lilly in front(from same neighbor lady), Tiger lilly in back, Rose of Sharon on each end and mystery perennial on left. I had a bad peony root from TSC, emailed the supplier and they sent me 3 huge roots. Bush in middle was already there but on it's last led. I got paid to clean out the leaves/pine needles from a client. So this bed is totally free.

Lou102
Newly Registered

looks wonderful, must have taken a long time to sort it out, I see you have a picture titled "some sort of thistle" I think that's ragwort if you have a better view or description of the leaves I would be able to tell you, if it is what I think it is don't feed it to anything, it can take down cows, its one nasty tasting plant.

applestar
Mod

I would enjoy this treasure hunt, too. :D

"Thorny vine" is greenbriar -- or my favorite version "Smilax" (always makes me think of Batman with Jack Nicholson as the Joker)

I thought your "Hackberry" was Wild Black Cherry, but I don't know what hackberry looks like.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Lou102 wrote:looks wonderful, must have taken a long time to sort it out, I see you have a picture titled "some sort of thistle" I think that's ragwort if you have a better view or description of the leaves I would be able to tell you, if it is what I think it is don't feed it to anything, it can take down cows, its one nasty tasting plant.
Your probably right. I see it now all over the fields and pastures around here. This is the first time it's ever shown up here.

applestar wrote:I would enjoy this treasure hunt, too. :D

"Thorny vine" is greenbriar -- or my favorite version "Smilax" (always makes me think of Batman with Jack Nicholson as the Joker)

I thought your "Hackberry" was Wild Black Cherry, but I don't know what hackberry looks like.
You never know what seeds will float up and take root in that area when it floods. It changes every year. I will check out some Black Cherry photos and compare. Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely not hackberry. I have hackberry seedlings pop up all the time from my big old hackberry. Their leaves are not at all smooth and shiny like that.

hackberry seedling:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7UfRF-11e70/T ... 100924.jpg

I'm not convinced the "parent around the corner" is hackberry, either. Here are hackberry leaves

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/forest ... leaves.jpg

tansy ragwort seems like a good suggestion for the yellow ones, though there are a ton of little yellow daisy like flowers.

Return to “Lawn Care”