Jburrows
Newly Registered

Help identifying Grass type please.

Anybody know what type of grass and recommendations to kill it? Is it possibly quack grass?
Attachments
In yard
In yard
Close up
Close up

imafan26
Mod

It could be however it looks like it has been cut before. This is a link to quack grass from UC. It has pictures of the mature grass.

There are non selective herbicides that you can use. However it will kill everything it contacts.

If it is widespread, a nuclear approach may be needed as it does spread by seed and underground runners. There are grass and brush weed killers and as much as people are against it Round up is a better choice then 2,4,D. Hopefully, it is not a roundup resistant weed.

Application is counter intuitive. It works best if you do not try to starve or cut the grass first. You want the grass receptive to absorbing it and roundup is absorbed through the leaves so you want nice plump leaves.
Do not water the day before. FOLLOW THE LABEL INSTRUCTIONS and take all the precautions needed to protect your other plants, do not spray on a windy day, wear protective clothing, wash up after and do not water for 24 hours. You may have to repeat applications and it may take a week or more before you see the grass dying as the Round Up has to kill all of the runner roots. After it looks dead, water again and wait to see if any more of that grass pops up (Round up does not kill seeds). Repeat steps until nothing more pops up.

https://www.ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/WEEDS/quackgrass.html

Jburrows
Newly Registered

Thanks. I was afraid roundup may be only option. 2 patches of it in my rays, about a 10x10 area and it drives me nuts!

imafan26
Mod

I have nut sedge and kyllinga in my yard. I gave up trying to kill it. I called the landscaper and he said the grass was so infested that replanting the grass was futile. He said I would have to do take the nuclear wasteland approach and sterilize the soil for a year to have a chance of killing the nut grass.

I ended up getting a grass I don't really like, dwarf St. Augustine. It was the only grass that could tolerate the deep shade from the city tree (that the city refused to remove until it fell in the street in the middle of the night). It has wide blades and hides kyllinga and nut sedge well. I still have to pull up the clumps of kyllinga, but I hardly notice the nut sedge now. The grass grows much faster than the zoysia I had . I have to pull the runners out of the beds all of the time and it needs more mowing but that was the trade off to keep my other plants.

Return to “Lawn Care”