CarlHill
Newly Registered

Need Chemical Advice MESOTRIONE

Does anyone have experience with mesotrione? I put down a starter fertilizer with mesotrione last weekend with the intention of seeding the same day. It became too windy to seed and then rained. Can I still plant my Titan Fescue seed now that the pre-emergent mesotrione has become wet twice and formed a barrier???? I know it shouldn't prevent fescue from germinating, but the dumb Scott's people are telling me I can't do it now that the product has watered in.

applestar
Mod

I can only answer in general terms, but "pre-emergent" means it disrupts the mechanism by which seeds -- any seeds -- germinate. So typically, pre-emergent herbicides are only used after desired seeds have already germinated to prevent other non-desirables from germinating....

If your lawn area has been treated with a pre-emergent herbicide, then you could plant grass plugs or sod, but most likely grass seeds won't grow until the herbicide has expired.

CarlHill
Newly Registered

Mesotrione and Siduron (Tupersan) are the only two pre-emergents that will not stop most cool season grasses from germinating, many sod farms use the stuff. The problem is that 98% of people do not tknow that these exist so it is very hard to get advice. This is really more of a timing question. Typically the seed gets put down right before this stuff then it is all watered in together. I'm trying to figure out what difference it makes really. The Scott's folks don't even seem to know, but I'm not wanting to waste $90 worth of grass seed without knowing for sure.

Return to “Lawn Care”