kirk30096
Newly Registered

Slime Mold?

Black, oily stuff in sparse Bermuda. What do I do?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20140222_172848194.jpg

shadylane
Green Thumb

I keep looking at that oil sludge and wonder how did it get there?

kirk30096
Newly Registered

I imagine it came from spores, and has grown by consuming dead bermuda

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

The conditions have to be right for slime mould. I would scratch the ground, maybe 1" and seed or plug, than water as usual.

Or if you prefer, dig that section out, an inch or more, add soil and plug or seed.

Richard

shadylane
Green Thumb

Well Kirk you may be one of those to discover the fourth group of 'Fungi imperfecti' :wink:

Slime mold, the common name for a group of lower level plants, somewhere in between animals and plants but classed at the bottom of the totem pole sort a speaking.
There are many kinds of slime mold, one causes club root of cabbage and the other crucifers, another, powdery scab of potatoes, and a third is not yet established of it causing a sweet potato disease.

Slime mold~'Myxomycetes' is a bacteria organism that use spores to reproduce, which once thought of as a fungi. That slime is it's protective layer for survival and of it's bacteria cells inside for reproduction to take place and gives it the mobility to travel searching for food.

These sites explain more on your discovery, the second site on how to remove it. Something simple as using boiling water to wash it off, and kill the living organism. Sounds like the ticket to use if you are looking into organic ways instead of chemicals.

https://us.wow.com/wiki/Slime_bacteria?s ... ticle.link

https://us.wow.com/wiki/Slime_layer?s_ch ... v_t=aolsem

Return to “Lawn Care”