steve104c
Newly Registered

Hydro-mulched area

Hello! I have 2.2 ac and had all the dead and fallen trees removed from my land. We had a very bad drought 2 years ago and we lost a lot of trees. I had someone come in and had the dead trees that hadn't fallen cut down and all the others removed. He also did what is called "Hydro-mulch". It is an attachment on the front of a skid loader that mulches everything 6" in dia. and smaller. My lot looks really nice now(Still have a bunch of nice trees) with all the mulch around the ground. Now my question is "How do I keep it looking nice", keep the weeds,brush, un-wanted stuff from growing back? I am going to buy a 30hp-40hp, mid-size tractor. What implement do I need to keep my property clean? I did pay big($) to have it cleaned-up and I want to keep it that way. Any advice will be appreciated.....................Steve(Just retired firefighter)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I can't really help, not having much experience with maintaining a property like that. I did live for a number of years on a five acre property. About half of it was wooded and we did little with that except maintain some paths. Most of the rest was lawn, which was just kept mowed. Any area that can be mowed regularly will be kept clear of trees, shrubbery, and ivy.

I did want to suggest for the future though, that you consider leaving some dead trees, either standing or fallen. Dead trees are really valuable as habitat, as nesting sites for birds, homes for many mammals including squirrels, raccoons, and others, as well as lizards, frogs, toads. Rotting trees/ logs also serve to hold nutrients and moisture and often new trees will sprout from the logs.

https://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0018.html

Return to “Lawn Care”