Modify_inc
Newly Registered

Bermuda Grass, patches of green in the Fall, odd patterns

Hi all,

I was curious if this is normal in the fall for Bermuda Grass. I am located in Georgia, USA. I don't seem to ever recall it doing it before so I was concerned. I noticed this about 2 or 3 weeks ago and thought it had a unique but odd pattern to it. Looking on Google I seen many pictures, but didn't see anything that really resembled what my Bermuda grass is doing.

I have attached a photo.

Hope to hear it's nothing of concern, though I would like to know what causes this, and if it's typical every Fall.

Thanks
Mike
Attachments
Bermuda grass patches of green
Bermuda grass patches of green

imafan26
Mod

How old is the lawn and when was the last time it was dethatched? It is a weird pattern.

Modify_inc
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:How old is the lawn and when was the last time it was dethatched? It is a weird pattern.
Since '93 or '94. I have never dethatched the lawn though we do have lawn semi-professionals that come out every now and then. I believe they just fertilized it last month or so. Is that normal to fertilize right before or during Fall?

Anyway I talked to my neighbor the other day, and they said it does that every year before it goes completely brown and was surprised I didn't notice it. Other than that the grass is fine throughout the summer.

Thanks
Mike

imafan26
Mod

I have a link to a publication on bermuda grass care.

When I took a garden series class the the local extention, one of the classes was on lawn care. I learned some shocking things. Most of us take our lawns for granted and don't do everything that is recommended or even much of anything unless we notice a problem.

Did you know that grass is one of the most high maintenance mono crops you can grow? It has a relatively high water and fertilizer requirement and requires frequent mowing, weeding, and pest control to keep it looking good.

New lawns require more frequent feedings, but older lawns don't really need much phosphorus, mostly nitrogen. Grass needs to be given fertilizer during the growing season. A soil test should be performed every couple of years to determine if you need to adjust for pH or any other elements that may be needed.

Thatch can build up creating dead patches in the lawn. Dethatching should be done twice a year with a dethatching rake or a vertical lawn mower to keep thatch less than 1/2 inch thick

Here's the kicker.

Lawns should be renovated every seven years or so.

Most of us have grass that is twenty years old. It is compacted and not really watered and fertilized enough and 50% or more of it is weeds, but I never thought to renovate it.

I'm thinking the lawn could probably use some aeration, dethatching and top dressing and dethatching. It will improve the health of the grass in the long run.

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c1216.html
https://plantscience.psu.edu/research/ce ... ets/thatch

Return to “Lawn Care”