bt101
Newly Registered

How to buy cheap lawn fertilizer?

I need to fertilize a couple of acres of lawn.
When I go to places like homedepot etc, the largest fertilizer bags are 25kg and are crazy prices (>50 bux).
I went to to the local farm bulk station, and right in the office they had bags mixed for lawns but were the same rip-off prices.

I want something that a normal farmer would buy (I really only want nitrogen and don't care about the other junk). I fail to believe that farmers pay 50 bux a bag and need to plunk down one billion dollars to fertilize a thousand acre farm. What should I ask-for and how much should it cost?

I'm located in Manitoba.

applestar
Mod

...what exactly is "couple acres of lawn"? Maybe portions of the area can be turned to more productive/self sufficient/useful spaces.

Do you use a mulching mower? -- free nutrients returned to the lawn right there, especially when grass is mixed with fall leaves and "mulched" back in. Turning the lawn from grass only to mixed by seeding with appropriately rhizobium inoculated clover seeds will also produce free nitrogen in the soil.

If you don't use a mulching mower, the clippings could be used for making compost which you can use to fertilize directly -- or for more efficient use pound for pound -- by making AACT (actively aerated compost tea) and spraying or spreading via the sprinkler system.

BTW, I'm not the best one to advise about lawn, but nitrogen only won't grow a healthy lawn, especially going into fall and winter.

bt101
Newly Registered

hi

couple acres = 2acres

I have a mulching mower.

I use the rip-off price fertilizer with the highest nitrogen content I can find and it works fine. I just want to find some that is priced less than inkjet ink or cocaine. There must be a farmer out there who can tell me to buy a bags of X for 5 bux each.

imafan26
Mod

Is there an agricultural wholesale place near you that sells retail? If you buy enough quantity and often enough it is worth setting up an account with them and you will be able to get bigger discounts up to 20% off.

Fertilizer prices have rocketed in the last few years. Since fertilizer was used to blow up the Fred Murrah building in Oklahoma, the quantities of ammonia is limited and the price is high.

Consider using urea. It has a high N = 46, so you would not need as much. If you are organic, only organic sources of urea are allowed, otherwise synthetic urea is a lot cheaper.

If you are mulching with the grass clippings you probably don't need as much either.

bowhuntaz

Get some chickens, and let them free range.
They poop everywhere with high nitrogen content poo, eat the bugs, and aerate the soil as they roll.
You get a nice green lawn, plus free eggs out of the deal.
Give them a little house to live in, water, maybe a little scratch feed now and then, and you're golden

Return to “Lawn Care”