jtranger
Newly Registered

Best weed killer and fertilizer for Bermuda grass

What is the best brand of weed killer and fertilizer for Bermuda grass. I am in Ca. Thanks

imafan26
Mod

It really depends on the kinds of weeds you want to control. I use image because it can kill nutsedge without killing St. Augustine grass. It needs to be carefully mixed and it can cause brown out so I use it to spot treat. According to the label burmuda grass is o.k. with it too.

https://betterturf.basf.us/products/imag ... icide.html

It helps if you keep your grass healthy by regular feeding aerating and top dressing. A healthy lawn competes better with weeds. Get the weeds before they go to seed. Set your mower height higher it helps to block light from emerging weeds.

If you use any herbicide, you still need to folow label directions and cover the shrubs and ornamentals nearby as they can be damaged by drift. It is better to be a good neighbor and warn your neighbor and spray only when the air is calm or you may end up killing some of your neighbors plants as well.

Most of the time, I do try to dig out patches of weeds rather than spray them. I use a paint brush or medicine dropper on weeds rather than a sprayer and that helps with the drift problem. Nutsedge only gets worse if it is pulled so I have to use the medicine dropper and place it directly in the crown of the nut sedge. Kyringa though is much easier to dig out and I will only use herbicide on patches that keep coming back.

Return to “Lawn Care”