tonyastro

Tall Fescue Dying?

I planted some Marathon Tall Fescue seeds in April and my lawn seemed to be doing well but now they're all brown. Is my lawn dead? If they're just dormant will they green back up without me re-seeding?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Can't answer that question without knowing your location and what your weather has been like.

Tall fescue, like many grasses, tends to go dormant in heat of summer. It should come back when the weather cools off and the rain comes back.

tonyastro

Oh sorry :) I live in So Cal. Good to know they green up again. I just thought Marathon 1 was supposed to be green all year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a lawn person, so I really don't know that much about lawn and grasses. But I think you could help keep your fescue green by pouring enough water on it very consistently. But 1) water is a precious resource and pouring a whole ton of it on your lawn seems very wasteful and 2) if you manage to keep it green through heat of summer, you are stressing it and making it more vulnerable to disease and other problems. Summer dormancy is a protective mechanism.

Return to “Lawn Care”