live free and garden

What are these weird holes in my lawn?

Noticed these fairly big holes all over my lawn the other day after it had been raining heavy for a while. They were about a quarter in diameter on average and spread all over the lawn in no particular order. The first image is a close up - the second on is me standing up. Any idea what this may be and/or what I should to fix it?

CJ

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: What are these weird holes in my lawn?

Are they just holes (that dead end at the bottom) or are they tunnels, that continue on underground?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

live free and garden

Hey Rainbow,

They just end for some reason. Only go about half an inch - inch down.
CJ

applestar
Mod

How intriguing! :D
There are nothing overhead that might have dripped in that pattern during the heavy downpour?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

live free and garden

That's what I thought, but they are scattered all over the lawn (including in places where trees aren't that nearby). Plus there weren't any pine cones or acorns nearby when I took a look in the morning (which was very shortly after the rain storm).
CJ

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

looks like squirrels digging nuts to me or grubs being dug up buy skunks.

live free and garden

Ohio, I put down GrubEx back in April ... do think I would need to re apply?
CJ

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

live free and garden wrote:Ohio, I put down GrubEx back in April ... do think I would need to re apply?
Do you have any of the dead grass areas that grubs cause if not I would bet on squirrels digging buried nuts! I have them digging spots like that all the time. I throw out peanuts for them to keep them out of my gardens.

Return to “Lawn Care”