hdwr
Newly Registered

help! my new st. aug. patches' soil is SO clay/hard

sod patches laid down a month or so ago. the earth under the sod squares is fairly loamy and loose, but the soil on the sod squares themselves is very clay-like and hard, and has hardly melded with the soil underneath at all. I've watered it a lot and it's looked healthy, but the grass seems to wither quickly without lots of watering. I don't see roots growing out of the soil, and it really seems hard. I've read that aerating patches in the first year is not a good idea, and I've read just enough about soil softeners to be confused the different advice. dallas, lots of heat and sun. any advice is greatly appreciated!

imafan26
Mod

When you lay the sod did you make sure you had good contact with the soil. When sod is laid I sorta move the piece over the soil to "rub it in". New grass needs to be watered about four times a day. until the roots grow in. Summer is not the best time of year to start grass because most grasses go dormant in summer and it takes a lot of water to keep it green.

Just have patience and keep the sod well watered and the sod in good contact with the soil, the roots will eventually move out.

hdwr
Newly Registered

thanks, imafan. no, the sod just got laid over the dirt, and the 2 parts haven't bonded at all. I'll keep up the watering and hope they get it together...

Return to “Lawn Care”