brandon32689
Newly Registered

need advice on new lawn in Texas.

First off I live in Texas, its hot..stay in.a drought and stay on water restriction..my yard was all dirt.my wife waved grass so I tiled yard real good and smoothed it out. I seeded pretty heavy with scotts seed. Also iput some scotts new grass feed. Ive been watering it at night for about a hour but I notice I got allot of weeds coming up now. I'm guessing the fertilizer in the seeds helping. Can I put weed and feed on top of these seeds or no.the scotts grass seed I got was sun.and shade with heat shield. Theseeds are little and blue. I'm really new to lawn care. I do want a half way decent yard. My front yard is 55ft by 35ft

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a lawn person and I am an organic gardener, so I can't help you with when to put what chemicals on your lawn.

But I have to say, water is a precious resource. The idea of pouring water on your little patch of ground for an hour every day in the middle of heat and drought is very strange to me. Look in to xeriscaping, which is dry land gardening with drought tolerant plants. It can be very beautiful. If you plant the right kind of things, you will have to water them some the first year while they are getting established. After that, you will never water and never mow.

Here's a couple other posts I have done on xeriscaping, with pictures:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=51118

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 46#p306246

My sister lives in New Mexico and hardly anyone around her has lawns. People have adapted to growing what makes sense for their climate.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You may notice that in the second thread

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=53618&p=306246#p306246

I did break down and talk to that person some about lawn. But they are in San Diego, CA, by the ocean. They may not get a lot of summer rain, but temps there rarely get much over 80. Still a more reasonable climate for having a lawn than TX, with temps over 100 a lot.

Return to “Lawn Care”