Arriga
Cool Member

Clover!

From what I understand, clover is not so bad but my yard is slowly turning to all clover. White flowers everywhere! How can I get rid of it without killing the greenery? If I kill the clover I will definitely have large bare spots. Not to mention the rabbits love the stuff bringing them closer to my veggies. Help please.

Arriga
Cool Member

I have also read to basically keep lawn cut but if I do that I will have to cut lawn closer that the 3 to3 1/2 inches

applestar
Mod

I'm not the best one to answer how to get rid of the clover because I prefer polyculture lawn.

FWIW -- clover rhizobium bacteria will grow in symbiosis with the clover and release nitrogen when that portion of the clover roots die off -- which can occur when the clover is mowed along with the grass. Pull up a few clover plants and see if they have the nodules growing on their roots. If they don't, one option is to apply clover rhizobium. We are talking about self-sustaining fertilizer.

Appearance or obvious appearance of the clover occurs in waves -- at least on our lawn. If the gass is cut high, the clover will grow long flower stems to bloom. The way my DH mowes, he cuts them all down just as I'm starting to feel like the clover are blooming in nice meadow-like clumps and hillocks. Occasionally he circles blooming clumps and leaves them for the honeybees.

If you use a mulching mower all the nitrogen rich clover clippings are left on the lawn to break down and feed the lawn. I sometimes get out there with my push reel mower before DH does and collect the clippings to use in my garden beds as mulch or in the compost pile.

Cola82
Green Thumb

I was hoping there was a good reason to love the clover in my lawn. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Honeybees love the clover blossoms! :)

Smallgardener

I guess you could spray some of the clover and leave little patches throughout the lawn. I use Trimec. It is a name brand product that has 2 form of 2-4,d amine and dicamba in it. PB Gordon makes it. It is gentle and low vapor. It is called trimec classic and trimec bent grass formula.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to “Lawn Care”