FrankTrog
Newly Registered

Please help -- centipede grass seeds broadcasted 4wks ago

We recently filled up our dirt lot back yard and planted centipede, which we are afraid isn't going to come to fruition. A week and Half planting we got a weeks worth of rain and afterwards started noticing these trails which look like mole burrows. Can anyone confirm and suggest methods of termination?
Attachments
Moles?
Moles?
image.jpg (81.31 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Last edited by applestar on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Re-worded subject line as requested

applestar
Mod

I can't tell if they're mole runs, but if they are, moles eat grubs (and earthworms, but there are plenty in my garden), and I know they also eat cutworms because I found a mole tunnel past section of garden bed with cutworm-killed seedlings and no sign of cutworms even though I dug around.

At least in my garden with compacted clay subsoil, their tunnels help create fissures for air, organic matter, and nutrients to pass through and water to drain.

I don't think you want to terminate them....

FrankTrog
Newly Registered

Hm. Everything I ever read and heard from others is that moles are a nuisance and make the yard unsightly. Of course our back yard is still unsightly since the grass that we broadcasted didn't seem to have taken or germinated yet after 4 weeks....

And also I thought earthworms were good for the yard as they break up the ground in a good way for plants.

applestar
Mod

Earthworms ARE good... But I think moles are good too in their own way -- they make bigger tunnels than earthworm which can be more effective. I suppose you may be more protective of your earthworms if you don't have many in your garden.

A couple of ways they can be a problem is (1) field mice/voles tend to use mole tunnels if they are not filled by the moles as they tunnel, and THEY eat plant roots and seedlings and (2) depending on soil structure, their surface runs can become unsightly or cause erosion and tripping hazard. Also if you live in the area were one species of moles that make raised mounds around their holes live, they are much more of an eyesore.

Moles don't eat vegetation -- voles do. Moles can sometimes dig through roots in their pursuits and cause damage, but I haven't had any significant plant loss. Do you think you have voles using the tunnels?

I think your issue with grass seed germination may have other causes since, if those are mole runs and are the only issues, you'd have much more grass and just empty tracks where the tunneling my have disturbed the seed growth. Maybe edit and re-phrase your topic title to ask for help with getting the seeds to grow. I can do that for you if editing grace period is over.

FrankTrog
Newly Registered

I would appreciate any advise on the lawn and I don't see an option to edit the topic.

Return to “Lawn Care”