Grappler1999
Newly Registered

Month old sod starting to turn yellow - HELP

My one month old Sod is starting to turn yellow in some areas. I've posted pictures. Can my new sod be saved in these areas and how can I save it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, I don't see the photos.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Grappler1999
Newly Registered

I can't upload my picture. Says its too big. Here's a link to another form that has a picture of the yellow areas.
https://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 262.html?2

imafan26
Mod

A few questions to help you out.

You sodded this lawn? What did you do to prep the soil? Was the soil tilled, amended, starter fertilizer?

What kind of sod is it?

Where do you live?

Did you do a soil test first?

After the grass was planted, How often did you water? New grass needs to be watered up to 4 times a day until the roots grow into the soil.

Did you try to mow the sod after it was laid?

Water the grass in the evening around the edges of the brown spots until it is flooding and check to see if any caterpillars come up. If you see caterpillars or moths flying around the grass. Or even birds pecking at the grass, you may have army worms. Some grasses are more delectable to army worms like bermuda and bluegrass. Centipede, zoysia, and St. Augustine are less bothered. If you have a grass prone to army worms, they need to be treated in March or April to prevent damage. Most of the damage is done by now and the worms have matured.

https://umaine.edu/ipm/ipddl/publications/5040e/

During summer, grass needs more water, about and inch a week. In my clay soil that translates to an hour a week. It is better to water slow and deep than shallowly. Feed the grass monthly until it is a year old, then biannually after that. During the summer, the mower blade should be set higher 2-1/2 inches. Grass normally goes dormant in summer so it is not the ideal time to start a lawn. It will require a lot of water to stay green.

Grappler1999
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:A few questions to help you out.

You sodded this lawn? yes What did you do to prep the soil? I tilled it first.

Was the soil tilled, amended, starter fertilizer?I used a starter fertilizer first. The place I purchased the sod gave me the starter fertilizer

What kind of sod is it? I believe it's bluegrass

Where do you live? south eastern Colorado. It's very hot here

Did you do a soil test first? NO

After the grass was planted, How often did you water? New grass needs to be watered up to 4 times a day until the roots grow into the soil. I watered it a lot. Right now I water it every morning and evening for 10 minutes

Did you try to mow the sod after it was laid? I waited 2 and half weeks before I mowed it. It was getting long. I thought I gave it enough time. Wish I would of waited longer

Water the grass in the evening around the edges of the brown spots until it is flooding and check to see if any caterpillars come up. If you see caterpillars or moths flying around the grass. Or even birds pecking at the grass, you may have army worms. Some grasses are more delectable to army worms like bermuda and bluegrass. Centipede, zoysia, and St. Augustine are less bothered. If you have a grass prone to army worms, they need to be treated in March or April to prevent damage. Most of the damage is done by now and the worms have matured. I have not seen any worms nor do birds fly and land on the lawn.

https://umaine.edu/ipm/ipddl/publications/5040e/

During summer, grass needs more water, about and inch a week. In my clay soil that translates to an hour a week. It is better to water slow and deep than shallowly. Feed the grass monthly until it is a year old, then biannually after that. During the summer, the mower blade should be set higher 2-1/2 inches. Grass normally goes dormant in summer so it is not the ideal time to start a lawn. It will require a lot of water to stay green.
do you think it can be saved and how? It's really yellow and looks dead.

Return to “Lawn Care”