johnstone
Newly Registered

1 week old sod - can't tell how much to water... please help

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, and recently had some new sod installed 7 days ago and am not sure how to handle the current watering.

I'd read from various sources how to water fresh sod and I think that so far I've been adhering to what most would call a proper amount of watering / schedule. My new lawn is one week old now and I'm starting to see signs of browning / dying between some of the pieces of sod that were laid.

I don't know if you'll be able to see them (don't really do it justice) but I attached a few pics.

Based on other info that I've read it leads me initially to think that I need to water more, but even just now when I went out (its 200pm and I did NOT water yet today), the thatch feels wet / moist and if I lift a corner of the sod (which is becoming more difficut) the soil is not dusty / dry and appears moist.

Another point is that my back yard only received partial sun and therefore leads me to think that maybe it doesn't require as much watering as your typical new sod lawn would.

I guess my question is this: if the lawn feels moist right now, is there any need to keep watering? I'm just as worried about over watering as I am about under watering.

Any comments / feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to this and very much need this new lawn to take!

Thanks in advance,
Johnstone :oops:
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (51.11 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG (59.9 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
photo(1).JPG
photo(1).JPG (64.38 KiB) Viewed 1410 times

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

HI, I'm guessing the soil under the sod was soften and damp before you laid the sod. I still should be beneficial to hand water a bit more with a shower head on the hose to keep the sod mat damp until it attaches to the soil below. In seven days the sod has just found out it's been laid. I'd give it time, keep it slightly damp, not much traffic, when you satisfied it has established you can go after the spot, even if it means cutting in a new sod square.

Richard

Return to “Lawn Care”