chrisht7
Newly Registered

Fighting Back A Variety of Weeds

I live in Texas, so having a healthy lawn with the extreme heat, fluctuating weather, and drought conditions has been difficult. Managing to keep green life on my lawn has taken a lot of work. The problem seems to be that weeds are better at surviving than my grass, so they're starting to take over the lawn. I mow my lawn high every 1-2 weeks, I water (when allowed) and spread seed/fertilizer/weed-killer 3 times per year (Fall, Winter, Spring). I ahve attached pictures of the weeds that I am dealing with. Any suggestions on how I can have a healthy lawn would be very helpful.

btw, I have only 1 young tree in the yard, so there is very little shade. There is a slope to my lawn, so water runs off and away quickly.

Thanks!

Christian

shadylane
Green Thumb

Try a different grass seed...such as gramagrass or buffalograss for a drought stricken area. Start this in the fall say the mid August or September.
Also I have found that extreme heat and the lack of rainfall causes the soil to become hard as a brick, there for watering (which is limited) can not penatrate down to the grass roots. Water early morning.
You didn't mention the type of fertilizer you were using, size of lawn so I suggest using bone meal, or cottonseed meal they are excellent nutrients for the lawn. Apply in the spring.

If it where my lawn I would re-think the whole lawn green grass picture and set it up as a drought tolerant flower garden...Oh the possiblities one can grow :D

watermelonpunch

I didn't even know you could have a lawn with green grass like that in Texas! ;)

If it's any consolation, I live in Pennsylvania, and at the back of our yard, there's an incline, and all on that particularly sloped corner, it gets about 9-10+ hours of sun, & the grass is very sparse and pathetic there. And a number of peculiar weeds crop up in that portion of the lawn.
Luckily it's behind the vegetable plot, and from afar, it doesn't actually look bare.

I did look it up about grass on sunny dry slopes, and I can't remember, but apparently there are grasses that are recommended for dry sloped areas. IIRC, they were not the kind of grasses though, that people generally associate with "golf course looking" or "wall to wall carpeting looking" lawns. I think they might be more coarse types of grass.

shadylane has a point. It might be worth it to landscape a drought tolerant flowerbed in parts of the lawn that are particularly troublesome, or where it's feasible to do so. And then let you concentrate on a smaller portion of lawn with softer grass to keep nice for outdoor activities.
Paths of least resistance, that sort of thing.

Fighting nature seems to scoop away a lot of time, effort, and money!!! :shock:

chrisht7
Newly Registered

Thanks to both of you! I will try some of the tips you gave and check back in with my progress.

My lawn is about 2,000 sq. ft with a walkway up the middle. One side has a growing tree which provides shade for about 20% of the total lawn. That 20% grows pretty with very few weeds. The problem is the inordinate amount of time in the sun that the rest of the lawn gets. I use the suggested Scotts fertilizers for the Fall, Winter, and Spring.

Being that I desire a more beautiful lawn, I know that I must now educate myself on the best fertilizers for the best seasons, how to seed the lawn and what type is best, watering techniques... well, there's a long list I was about to start there. The bottom line is that I must now work smarter AND harder to achieve the lawn I desire. Your help is much appreciated, and I am still looking for more information and ideas for the "smarter" portion.

Christian

Return to “Lawn Care”