MountainMamma
Newly Registered

dog pee spots?

I have some serious dog pee burn spots in my yard. Someone told me to water the spots with sugar water and another told me to neutralize it with baking soda? I don't know if anyone has had any luck with either method or not. I was thinking about just reseeding all the spots but I don't know if thats the best solution. Just looking for some insight or tips I have no experience with lawn care nor do I really know anything about grass. Thanks in advance!

JohnnyB60

I was hoping to hear more on this because I’ve been having the same problem and this weekend I’ll be dog sitting 2 more female dogs for the weekend.
It’s been a long time and my memory is not so good anymore, but I vaguely remember using Ammonium sulfate, but I could be wrong. Anyway I found an old bag of the stuff in my garden shed that I forgot about and I'm going to try a little to see what happens.
If nobody smarter than me responds, I'll let you know how it works if I don't destroy my lawn first LOL

therock0503

So, when the dogs pee (especially females because they squat so its concentrated), they add nitrogen to the lawn. So, the issue is actually more of an over-fertilization problem when it burns out.

Obviously, the best thing to do is to get the dog to urinate somewhere else. I know, its not easy, but neither is solving the pee spot problem, so pick you poison.

Also, You can cut back dramatically on the nitrogen you add to the grass, and fertilize less in those areas so the spots don't get burned out. The spots will actually green up, since they are getting more nitrogen from the pee than the areas around them, but not too much so that it burns out.

You can also dilute the spot the pee in with water right after they pee.

If you have warm season grass, cut back on the fertilizing of the lawn and it should grow back into the spots. If you have a cool season grass like fescue, you will have to rake out and reseed the areas again in the fall.

There are some other methods and products (none that I have found to work very well) out there, as well as changing the dogs diet so that the waste is not as nitrogen potent.

Anything you do should be to reduce, or neutralize the amount of nitrogen in the grass.

mfeele01
Newly Registered

I also have this problem. Female dogs are worse because the pee goes straight down and concentrates in a small area. There's 2 ways to fix this.

1. install irrigation system and water the yard regularly, preferably time it so a few days a week it goes on after you bring your dog out. (get ready to mow your yard twice a week the grass will grow like crazy)

2. do what I do and follow your dog with a pot of water to instantly dilute the urine.

there's no easy fix unless you train your dog to go in a particular area of the yard that you don't care about.

KeriFord

watering the spots heavy after they go (like others mentioned) works well and quick. Just be ready for the opposite to happen--your bare spots become a big jungle. :)

Return to “Lawn Care”