sacks13
Newly Registered

What is going on with my lawn?!?

Hello all,

First post here looking for help.

I got a brand new lawn late last summer - sod installation. I used a winterizer at the end of the season. I live in New England.

I've attached two photos of what my lawn looks like today. Generally I'd describe it almost dormant. The grass doesn't look like it's growing (yet), and there are several areas that look thin and tan, yellow, greyish.

I have a sprinkler system that I started using last week (it just lately has started to get into the mid 60's in my area). I fertilized with Scott's Turf Builder with crabgrass preventer a week ago. What can I do to kickstart the growth and the greening up of this grass????

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
lawn 2.png
lawn 2.png (114.86 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
lawn 1.png

shadylane
Green Thumb

I don't know to much about sod, only that it requires a lot of water due to its upper root system. I have a small area of sequoia sod and it is the last to come back from winter dormant. Having the brownish appearance

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Patience and lots of water? Are your neighbors' lawns green? It seems like in New England your season would be behind mine, so it just might not have waked up yet.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I see the trees are out and green so should your lawn be green as well. As it is sod it may not have wintered as well a planted grass. Give it some time and if it does not come back you may want to over seed it.

*dim*
Cool Member

I'm just guessing, but it could be that whoever prepared the soil before adding the sod, did not do a proper job and you have a drainage problem? .... (I.e. the soil may be too compacted)

the roots need 6-8 inches of softer soil so as to develop properly .... if this is the case, get someone to hollow tine aerate your lawn.

but before doing that, get a high nitrogen lawn fertilizer, and apply that, but keep watering daily for 2 weeks .... if the lawn does not green up after that, it may be the soil is too compacted .... Miracle gro has a water soluble lawn fertilizer that has 36% nitrogen (NPK 36-6-6)... I use it with the special hose Miracle Gro attachment

mfeele01
Newly Registered

Pull up a small sq foot area of the sod and look for grubs in the dirt. if you have them you'll see them they are pretty big at this time of year.

Return to “Lawn Care”