stevo6
Newly Registered

Fertilise then spray with Verdone, or the other way around?

Should I fertilise my lawn before or after spraying with Verdone? And how long a gap should I leave between treatments?

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know because I don't use those products. But I would be very careful with the Verdone. It says it will kill the weeds and not the grass. But its active ingredients are Diflufenican and glyphosate. Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Roundup, which is a non-selective herbicide that will kill everything, including the grass. So I would test it on an area first and wait a week or two, make sure it doesn't kill the grass. We have had people write in here already this season to say they used some weedkiller on their lawn (not the Verdone) and it killed everything.

In the meantime, the Diflufenican is an herbicide of the anilide class. They are very persistent in the environment, in soil, water, etc. And they are toxic to honeybees, birds, fish, and probably pets, humans, etc.

Is your only choice to put persistent poisons in the environment?

Ollie GB
Newly Registered

Hi. I just brought some of this and am trying to check about how it effects daffodils and crocuses etc. I was thinking best to leave until the bulbs have 'recharged' and I've cut the leaves to give them the best chance?

In terms of the active ingredients, have they changed since 2013? Seems to say fluroxypyr, clopyralid and MCPA opposed to gycosulphate and diflufenican?

Any thoughts? Open to suggestions of greener alternatives too, was recommended by the gardeners at work.

Return to “Lawn Care”