Grasstrology
Newly Registered

Basic Lawn Care Tips - How often to mow etc.?

Do any of you guys have good tips to keep a grass nice and green? I'm also planning to grow my grass out to 3 inches atleast, and I want to know how often I should cut my grass to get that high and neat look. I have a gardena reel mower

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say where you are and it makes a difference. Growing a lawn in Arizona, if you were foolish enough to try, would be way different than growing a lawn here in Ohio.

And no one can tell you water once a week or whatever, because it depends so much on conditions - how much sun, rain, how fertile the soil. In a normal year here in rainy Ohio, we usually mow once a week through much of the growing season, but last year was drought and we hardly mowed at all. Keeping your mower on the highest setting and keeping the grass tall is a good idea. And you never want to take off more than a third of the blade at once. So if you are keeping it at three inches, you want to mow by the time it is four inches tall.

If you are not getting enough rain, and you want to keep your lawn green, water deeply but infrequently. Personally not being a big lawn person, I never waste water on a lawn, especially in drought. It will get brown and dry, but it will survive and come back when the rain comes back.

Don't fertilize your lawn, except once a year in the fall.

mfeele01
Newly Registered

I live in Massachusetts and have a green lawn that I've rehabilitated. Basically, don't ever cut more than 1/3 the total length of the grass blade. If you cut too much then your grass will go into repair mode instead of root development mode. I find I have to mow twice a week in the spring because the grass grows fast from the rain we get. As summer approaches I tend to start raising the mower deck and let the grass get higher. I feel this helps protect the grass from the summer heat. Also get a lawnmower that mulches the grass. This will make mowing more fun as you don't have to empty the bag and the mulched grass clippings will provide nutrients to the lawn.

If you have an irrigation system or water your lawn then the best is a few days a week do a deep long watering. Always rely on nature's rain if you can.

Good luck

*dim*
Cool Member

I care for several lawns here in the UK, so it is most probably different growing conditions, temperatures and rainfalls to some parts of the USA, but here is what I do .....

In March, I add a weed and feed fertilizer (Scotts), which is supposed to be applied at 35 grams per square meter (I fertilize by hand, so am a bit 'heavy handed' and I apply more than specified .... this kills broad leaved weeds and kills any moss (if there is any present) .... Make sure that you don't add the weed/feed fertilizer straight after mowing (you have to wait 2 days after mowing), and ensure that it is watered in well (if it does not rain) .... if there is moss, it will blacken, then after a few days, rake it to remove it, and mow

keep the lawn watered, and mow twice a week.... never remove more than a 1/3 of the grass height, and ensure that the lawnmower blades are sharp .... I use a mower that collects all the clippings (I do not like mulch mowers) .... I aim for 1 1/5 to 2 inches high, but it depends on what grass type you have

In June, I add another lawn fertilizer (Scotts lawn conditioner) ....

In September, the lawn gets another lawn conditioner fertilizer

At the end of october, I mow short, scarify, then aerate (you can use a good garden fork if you don't want to rent a professional aerator) and I add a lawn winterizing fertilizer ....

then, if the lawn gets too long after that, give a quick mow when it's dry weater (at a higher setting) just to neaten it up ....

proper mowing resumes again in spring ...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Be sure to read the Sticky at the top of the Lawn Care Forum on Organic Lawn Care. Like other plants we grow, grass needs deep roots, nutrients, water, etc. Take a look at the care recommended in the Sticky for some ideas on a healthy lawn/yard. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Lawn Care”