Grasstrology
Newly Registered

Sprinkler

Hey guys, new to the site. I just wanted to know, what sprinkler is better. Would the sprinkler that goes back and forth spraying a wall of water be more effective than a sprinkler that spins? Thanks

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I think that when a single sprinkler is used, that an oscillating sprinkler is best. However, when overlapping zones are set up, I tend to prefer the rain bird type of sprinklers.

Grasstrology
Newly Registered

hendi_alex wrote:I think that when a single sprinkler is used, that an oscillating sprinkler is best. However, when overlapping zones are set up, I tend to prefer the rain bird type of sprinklers.
Thanks for replying, but if I were to use a oscillating sprayer with a 40' radius, would it only supply water to the circumference, or distribute an even amount of water within the 40'?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Oscillating sprinklers have a line of small jets which shoot water out in a uniform stream. A single unit gives a fairly even distribution of water over the coverage area. As you say, most of the impact or rainbird types give 360 degree coverage that hits mostly at the outer edge of the spray zone. When set to trip back and forth the coverage is much better. When paired with a second or third sprinkler where spray patterns are allowed to overlap, these kinds of sprinklers also give excellent coverage.

Return to “Lawn Care”