btrowe1

Milky Spore to Get Rid of Lawn Grubs?

I"m sitting here looking out my window, at my recently fertilized lawn which is turning a nice shade of dark green, and to my amazement ( well not really) there are a ton of birds chowing down on grubs all over the place.
My lawn, Which I try to make look good, fertilize every year, have sprinkler system, mow weekly, and my wife wants it to look good so she has a green expanse to walk on. So I work harder.

I did have grubs years ago (still do I guess) , I've done the grub x so many times it"s not funny, Most of my neighbors don't have lawns because the grubs have eaten them all away. so they do nothing just mow the dirt in the summer. So why have a lawn if NO ONE else cares ? PISSES one off.

So I need to do something grub x does not work.

Wondering about the milky spore stuff, doing a search for info, seems expensive but most of the reviews seem to say it works and stays active for many years,

Has anyone tried this?? How were your results?? Is it worth it for the money??

As always thanks

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Takes (or it took me) more than one application, but it did help.

If you want a magic wand, Milky spore is not for you.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

I've used it in two houses - good results both times.
one application, 20 years in first house, 10+ years in this house.

understand,
it only affects the grubs
it does take time to multiply throughout the soil

it is not an "instant" kill - if you put it down now, it will really be first effective on next years' grubs.

I mix it with pelletized limestone and apply via a broadcast spreader vs the "spoonful every x inches"

btrowe1

thank you to all, Think I"ll be purchasing some from amazon..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And then once you see that it is working, maybe talk to your neighbors, see if you can get them to do it too. The milky spore will keep the grubs out of your lawn, but as far as keeping the adult Japanese beetles out of your garden, they fly. So the ones that hatched out from your neighbors' lawns can come to your garden.

Return to “Lawn Care”