kcopper

Bare Patches in Lawn, Areas Looks Like Grass is Dying (UK)

My garden lawn is not in the best condition at the moment. It has heathly patches along with bare patches and in some areas it looks like the grass is dying. I just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to save my lawn. I live in scotland so the climate is cool and damp.

therock0503

What kind of grass do you have? Fescue? Do you have a picture?

kcopper

I have no idea what type of grass it is. All I know is that it looks almost dead in patches. I will try to get my son to put a picture up next time he is round as I'm quite terrible with technology.

therock0503

Sounds good. Bare spots could be a bunch of things. A pic is worth a thousand words. If I can see it, I might be able to help you out.

grahamosllc
Newly Registered

If your climate is pretty much always cool and damp, I would recommend seeding. Not just seeding alone though. Consider giving your whole lawn an "overhaul" and don't just treat bare spots.

I would first ask myself if there is anything stressing my grass out? Ex: pets trampling, people playing sports, cars driving over turf, etc. Over stressed grass will eventually die if not treated properly.

I would then use a core aerator and aerate the lawn. Aerators can typically be rented at a local hardware store. Then after aerating I would lay down seed. No need to dig the seed in just throw it down in the bare patches.

Then I would fertilize using a broadcast spreader. Using an organic fertilizer will help immensely with the ph balance of your soil which will then enrich your grass plants.

Hope this helps! :)

https://GrahamOutdoorServices.com

Return to “Lawn Care”