micaaronfl76
Newly Registered

grass seed - pennsylvania

hello all,

I was wondering if anyone have a recomendation for a brand / grass seed mix. looking to grow some patched back in the spring and last year I ttied a few brands from HD but the seed didnt take well.

The landscaper around here uses some sort of seed mix that does really well, but he wont tell me whats in it.

I think he said one time it was rye but not sure.

so any adive let me know.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

this is used in central PA -

58.82% perennial ryegrass
19.6% Kentucky bluegrass
19.4% creeping red fescue

micaaronfl76
Newly Registered

thanks, anyone have any suggestions on brand of seed? also when throwing on the lawn is there any mixture like soil/ fertilizer I should mix in?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

going out on a limb here, I'm guess you're quite new at "the lawn thing"

so,, "brands" - forget about names. look on the label. it will tell you the composition of the mix in the bag.

I don't do brands - I go to the farm store where they have "pure" seed of Types A thru Z; you buy x pounds of this, y pounds of that, mix them up.

your local Agway - depending on location - may or may not be that deep into agriculture.

chemical fertilizers are chemical fertilizers and pretty much everything else on the bag is marketing hype.

you put it on, it rains, it's gone - either (hopefully) soaked into the soil with a slow rain, or got washed down the gully with a hard rain. the stuff dissolves "instantly"

you may find "slow release" stuff; that's better comma slightly.

there are "organic" fertilizers - no national brands I know of except perhaps Milorganic which is made from city sewage sludge and had gotten a bad rap for heavy metals, erectile dysfunction drugs, etc.

"turf" aka grass needs about one pound of nitrogen per thousand square feed per year. half that if you leave the grass clippings on the lawn.

over-fertilizing is worse than under-fertilizing.

find out how to sample your "yard" soil and get (multiple) soil test(s) depending on size/shape. that will tell you how "bad" the dirt is / is not and what other actions may be required - pH correction, etc.

the whole secret to creating a good lawn is seed bed preparation and moisture. get the soil raked/tilled/plowed/loosened to about 1 inch, seed, drag to cover the seed, then keep moist until the seed germinates.

this is a challenge for large areas - break in up into smaller patches where you can manage better if necessary. unless you have a sprinkler system to cover all 20 to 100,000 sq ft at one go, you'll need to water / moisten by hand / hose / spray nozzle - that's about 3-5,000 sq ft at a clip.

Return to “Lawn Care”