Happy Days

Bermuda grass and clover

I have been told that clover will crowd out Bermuda grass. Is this correct? If so, what variety or varieties of clover are best?

GreatOrganics
Newly Registered

Are you suggesting that you WANT it to crowd out the Bermuda? You're looking for a primarily clover lawn or Bermuda lawn?

Clover is pretty tenacious and will spread very effectively. It's also a great way to supply nitrogen to your lawn. If you don't fertilize and you're soil's not super great, clover would probably crowd out Bermuda. If you DO fertilize or you have pretty good soil, the Bermuda will probably be more able to "hold it's own" and you'll probably end up with a good mix of the two.

Clover likes low-nitrogen soils because it can fix it's own nitrogen. Because grasses do not fix their own nitrogen, fertilization is necessary on soils that have low organic matter and minimal microbial/earthworm activity. I would submit that organic fertilization would be best, but not everyone would agree with that perspective.

Also, it helps to cut the lawn nice and short, which is often best for Bermuda anyway. The longer you let it grow, the more the clover will probably compete. The shorter you cut it, the more the Bermuda will probably hold it's ground.

As for the type of clover that you'd want, probably Dutch White as it is shorter growing and more suited to lawn use. However, because it is shorter growing, it is also more tolerant of short cutting, which means it will be more able to compete with low cut Bermuda grass. Fertilization will be critical here if you want the two to coexist, rather than having the clover out-compete the Bermuda.

Happy Days

Thank you very much for that answer. It's an old yard and, yes, I want to crowd out Bermuda, if I can. I apologize for the brevity of the question. It didn't make the situation and conditions too clear.

The soil has a lot of clay, but that being said, also a lot of earthworms. The half of the yard that backs up to woods certainly has a different soil quality than the rest since many leaves have fallen and decayed there over the years. There are several kinds of grasses in the yard but Bermuda will take over here if allowed to go unchallenged.

Then the clover would do better if the grass is cut higher. Correct? I really want the cover to crowd out the Bermuda and other grasses as much as possible. I know Bermuda does not like to be shaded.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Dutch White seeds. I've purchased some.

GreatOrganics
Newly Registered

You're welcome. Yes, if you keep the lawn longer, the clover will likely have a better time competing with and pushing out the Bermuda. Also, I'd avoid any fertilization as well. The clover will likely do fine without it - the Bermuda probably not as much.

Return to “Lawn Care”